Current projects and forthcoming
Kim, O.M., Kim, J.R. and Tarnowski, R. (2017). International adoption: a global challenge. In Dolan, P. & Frost, N. (Eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Global Child Welfare. Routledge.
Kim, J.R. (2016). Book Review: How Chinese are you? Adopted Chinese youth and their families negotiate identity and culture. Affilia 0886109915624946, first published on January 5, 2016 as doi:10.1177/0886109915624946
Kim, J.R. (2014). Internationally Adopted Children with Disabilities in Out-of-Home Care: Emerging Research on Adoptive Parent Perspectives. Roundtable, 27(4). National Resource Center for Adoption, 12-14. Available here.
Kim, J.R. (2014). “Cooking Lessons.” In Emily Moberg Robinson (Eds.) Voices of the Asian American Experience. Greenwood Press. More information here.
Kimball, E. & Kim, J.R. (2013). Virtual boundaries: Ethical considerations for use of social media in social work. Social Work. doi:10.1093/sw/swt005. Available here.
Kim, J.R. (2013). An overview of adoption of children with disabilities. In CW360: Intersection of child welfare and disabilities – focus on children. Spring, 2013 issue. Available here.
Kim, J.R. (2013). Fearing the adult adoptee. Adoption Constellation Magazine, Fall, 2013. More information about Adoption Constellation Magazine here.
Kim, J.R. (2012). “Some Children See Him: A Transracial Adoptee’s View of Color-Blind Christianity.” Journal of Christian Legal Thought, 2:1. Short article available here and full length available here.
Books and book chapters
“The Good Kind of Immigrant.” In Sun Yung Shin (Ed.) A Good Time for the Truth: Race in Minnesota, Minnesota Historical Society. For information about A Good Time for the Truth, click here.
“Transracial adoption in the schools.” With Beth Hall, in Rowena Fong and Ruth McRoy (Eds.) (2016) Transracial and Intercountry Adoptions. Columbia University Press. Click here for Transracial and Intercountry Adoptions.
“Breaking the silence: Teaching my children to talk about race and racism.” In Adam Chau and Kevin Ost-Vollmers (Eds.) (2012) Parenting as Adoptees. CQT Media and Publishing. Electronic versions are available for Barnes and Noble (Nook) and Amazon Kindle. To order a print copy, click here.
“Forward” and “Introduction.” In HERE: A Visual History of Adopted Koreans in Minnesota by Kim Jackson and Heewon Lee. (2010). Click here for HERE:A Visual History of Adopted Koreans in Minnesota
“Waiting for God: Korean American Adoptee experiences of religion and spirituality.” In David Yoo and Ruth Chung (Eds.) (2009). Religion and Spirituality in Korean America. University of Illinois Press. Click here for Religion and Spirituality in Korean America
“Scattered seeds: The Christian influence on the Korean adoption phenomenon.” In Jane Jeong Trenka, Sun Yung Shin and Chinyere Oparah (Eds.) (2006). Outsider’s within: Writing on Transracial Adoption. Cambridge, MA: South End Press. Click here for Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
Selected media interviews and appearances
- Transracial Adoption Support Systems Scarce Despite Difficulties. NBC Asian America, March 15, 2016.
- International Adoptees Create A New Sense Of Community Together. National Public Radio, May 10, 2015.
- Interview with KSTP on adoption delays in Minnesota, April 18, 2015
- Feature on the University of Minnesota’s College of Human Development and Education website, July, 2013
- Interview with Phil Picardi about contested adoption case, Minnesota Public Radio, March 30, 2013
- Riley’s in Uganda blog: Guest Blog Post – An Interview with JaeRan Kim – An Internationally Adopted Adult, January 3, 2013
- “Talk with me about…everything”: Blog podcast for Land of Gazillion Adoptees, July 20, 2012
- Roundtable: The adoptee experience, Minnesota Public Radio, July 13, 2012
- Research, Experts Say Racial Identity Important After Adoption, Scripps Howard Foundation Wire, December 13, 2011
- The Chat With The Blogger Formerly Known As “Harlow’s Monkey,” June 27, 2011
- The Myth of the Forever Family. Brain, Child Magazine, Summer 2010
- De-emphasis on Race in Adoption Is Criticized. New York Times March 27, 2008
- Addicted to Race 73: Celebrity Adoptions
- Addicted To Race 41: Transracial adoption roundtable
- Addicted To Race Premium 4 – Adoption
- Asia Pacific Forum – March 20, 2007 Show
- Video of a reading of “Scattered Seeds” at the Outsiders Within book launch, November 18, 2006
Resilience – 15 page discussion guide authored by Eleana Kim (University of Rochester) with Jae Ran Kim (University of Minnesota) and Kim Park Nelson (Minnesota State University Moorhead)